INSPIRATION & DESIGN
An acquaintance of mine reached out to me to make this hat for her nephew. She had an idea in mind and asked for me to bring it to life and that’s when this “Tree-mendous” hat was born! (See what I did there?)
Lion Brand Heartland
My go to favorite acrylic yarn lately has been Lion Brand Heartland. It’s such a soft yarn to work with and can be used for a variety of projects. I also love the drape of it. The colorways are beautiful and earthy and I love how some have a heathered look to it.
Lion Brand BonBons
I wanted a hat with a splash of color and some sparkle for the ornaments. So I double layered strands of the Lion Brand BonBons that I found at Jo-Anns. I was dying to have a reason to use these cute little skeins–they’re adorable!
Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling
I used this yarn for the pom pom, but you can use this for the ornaments too! The Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling comes in a variety of colors to choose from and can be a staple to your yarn stash!
PIN NOW, SAVE LATER
Interested in this pattern and want to save it for later? You’re welcome to save it by using our Pinterest pin by clicking here or on the pin available here on our website.
You can also save this to your Ravelry queue by clicking here.
FREE CROCHET PATTERN
- You can get the ad-free, PDF/print version of the pattern here.
- You can save this to your Ravelry by clicking here.
- This pattern is based on the Toddler Size used by the original designer.
- The hat sizing guide is based on head circumference measurements from the Craft Yarn Council. Measurements account for 2 inches of negative ease to allow for stretch
- Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
- US Terms
- Approximate Time: 2.5 hours
- Gauge: 4 in x 4 in / 13 Rows x 18 HDCs BLO
Note: Designer’s tension tends to be on the tighter side.
- The pattern is designed working from the bottom (brim) to the top (crown)
- This pattern is based on the original design of the designer; however, can be adjusted as desired. Designer’s hat pictured is a toddler hat measuring 17 inches for the head circumference and 9 inches from the base of the earlobe to peak of the crown.
- “Ch 1” in the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- For the purpose and ease of this pattern, the Puff Stitch (Ornaments) can be placed anywhere to your liking and in any color you like on even numbered rows.
- This pattern used Weight 1 Yarn, which required double layering for the ornaments—(2) 30 inch (76 cm) strands. If you prefer to use a Weight 3 or Weight 4 yarn, do not double layer the yarn.
- Abbreviations / Stitches Used:
- BLO. Back Loops Only
- Ch(s). Chain(S).
- Dec. Half-Double Crochet Decrease. Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch. Yarn over, draw up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch. Yarn over, draw up a loop (5 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through all 5 loops.
- HDC(s). Half-Double Crochet(s). Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch. Yarn overm draw up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through all 3 loops.
- Puff. Puff Stitch (Ornaments). Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch. Yarn over, draw up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, draw up a loop (5 loops on hook). Yarn over, draw up a loop (7 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through all 11 loops.
- Sl St. Slip Stitch.
- St(s). Stitch(es)
- Hook: 5.00 mm / H and 6.00 mm / J
- Other: Tapestry Needle, Scissors, Pom Pom Maker (Optional), Stitch Markers (Optional)
BRIM (TREE STUMP)
Foundation Row: Using Color 1 and a 5.00 mm / H crochet hook, Ch 8.
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd Ch from the hook, HDC 7. Turn. Ch 1. (7 Sts)
Row 2: Starting in first st, in BLO, HDC 7. Turn. Ch 1. (7 Sts)
Repeat Row 1 and Row 2 until you reach 17 inches and end on an even row number.
To seam brim, Ch 1. Hold together both ends of the brim together with the Ch 1 closest to you. Sl St through the front and back loop of the corresponding st in the end farthest from you. Sl St across until brim is formed into a ring. Do not cut the yarn. Flip the brim so the seam is on the inside.
BODY OF HAT BEFORE CROWN (TREE STUMP AND TREE)
Except for Row 1, all rounds will be done in the BLO of the stitches
The only times that stitches are not worked into the BLO is when:
- Working a Puff Stitch (Ornaments)
- Working a HDC into a Puff Stitch
For the purpose and ease of this pattern, the Puff Stitch (Ornaments) can be placed anywhere to your liking after Row 3 in the even rows using Color 4.
Have fun with it! All Puffs need to be placed on the even numbered rows (wrong side) to allow for the stitch to “pop out”.
Row 1: (Working along the circumference of the hat’s brim) Using Color 1 and a 6.00 mm / J crochet hook, HDC evenly the number of rows used from the brim. For instance, if you had 54 rows then you need to HDC 54 evenly around the brim. Using Color 2, join in 1st HDC of the row. Turn, Ch 1. Leave an 8 inch tail of Color 1 and weave in ends.
Row 2: Using Color 2, Starting in the 1st st, in the BLO, HDC evenly the number of rows used from the brim. Join in 1st HDC of the Row. Turn. Ch 1.
Repeat Row 2 until you reach the desired hat height before the crown.
**Note: If you prefer a longer stocking cap look, then continue the repeat of Row 2 until you reach desired length before decreasing the rows
HAT CROWN (PEAK OF TREE)
To start the crown, use one of the following charts to begin your decrease.
Once you have reached your desired height, seam together the top of the hat and secure it together and weave in ends.
(Optional) Using a pom maker, add a 2 inch pom pom or any other “tree” topper you’d like (i.e., amigurumi star, 4 in pom pom) and secure the ends by weaving in on the inside of the hat. You can even use jingle bells!
Hope you all enjoyed this pattern! If you’d like to have the size inclusive pattern, please make sure to visit make a purchase for the Ad-Free PDF pattern!